Thursday, September 17, 2009

My First Ever *Tutorial* - Glass Etching

***Edited to say that I am placing this tutorial on Chris' (Just a Girl)"I Can Make That" blog party! I found her last year around this time and saw so many fun handmade gift ideas. I'm for sure doing handmade gifts again, since money is tight. Go visit the many links that are posted for "I Can Make That"


I am proud to bring you my very first Tutorial on this blog! I love to read tutorials, I have learned so many things from creative people out there in blogland.


We received some glasses that were etched with our first initial and last name on them for a wedding gift almost 10 years ago and they are still some of my favorite glasses!


My friend April, that just got married on September 12th in one of the most beautiful weddings I've been to...asked me to help her make some gifts for the groomsmen. She wanted to get them mugs with their names on them. You tell me what you want...and I can make it happen!! I'm full of jennspiration baby!




So first of all, you need to get some glasses that have a smooth surface. They cannot have any ridges on the part that you are going to do the etching.


Next, you need to clean them with Windex so they are nice and sparkling clean! Next, you need to print off the names or images that you want to etch. We did the first names of the groomsmen. Make sure to chose a font that doesn't have too much intricate lines.

(The next two images, should have been swapped in order, but I couldn't figure out how to change it without deleting everything!) :)

Then you need to put the name on a piece of contact paper, make sure to do it with the sticky side down...otherwise the name will be in reverse (Trust me, I know from experience!) You need to tape the paper with the name to the contact paper so it won't shift.


With an exacto knife, cut carefully around the edges of the letters. Go slow, there's not a whole lot of room for errors. Also, be very careful with these knives, they are so sharp.


After you've got the name cut out, remove the piece of paper and very carefull place the contact paper on the glass. Try to get it as even as possible, it is tricky. *I do realize I used different names for these pictures...I wasn't thinking straight that day!



Next you need to brush "Armor Etch" cream on the letters, take extra caution not to get it anywhere else on the glass besides on the letters. You can buy Armor Etch at your local craft store, or online here
Follow the directions on the bottle, you only need to leave the cream on for about 10 minutes.


After the 10 minutes is up, wash the cream off under running water in the sink. I usually rub the cream off with my hands, but you may want to use gloves if you have sensitive skin.
Then once the cream is washed off, peel the contact paper off and...tada! You're done!




This is a fun project to do! Super easy to personalize gifts and people love them!

Hope you learned something from my tutorial...I've got more stuff to come!!

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

That was a good tutorial. Very easy to understand.. Love that. ;) I might do something of the sort for christmas gifts. Going cheap and personal again this year :-D

Thanks for motivating me! Haven't seen you in a while!
Rachelle

Courtney said...

You can highlight, right click, cut, and then paste pictures if you need to move them around...happens to me ALL the time. :)

Great tutorial, though, I never knew etching was so easy!

Monty and Mari Beth said...

Wow, they look really good! Thanks for the great tutorial. Hope you guys are doing ok. We've missed seeing you.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Wow- these are so great for guys! Good job!

I love etching- made Christmas gifts years ago for my siblings and their families- fun!

Jerri-Lea said...

Those look great! I made a set of mugs as a family gift for Christmas one year, they were very much appreciated!

Jenny said...

Those turned out so cool! Great tutorial!

Sherri said...

They turned out great! What a wonderful personalized gift. Awesome tutorial.